George Yazbek, DCH Lexus of Oxnard’s general manager, presented the awards. Also attending the ceremony were OUHSD Superintendent Bob Carter and Assistant Superintendent Martha Mutz, along with principals or assistant principals from each of the seven schools as well as the family members of the scholarship winners.
It marked the 11th consecutive year that DCH Lexus of Oxnard has awarded the scholarships.
“You have a bright road ahead of you,” Yazbek told the recipients.
Scholarship winners were chosen based on criteria that included an essay they wrote promoting Lexus’ “Keep it Out of the Car” campaign that discourages reckless driving by teen-agers. Other criteria considered by the dealership’s staff of judges included academic achievement, community service and financial need.
The winners are:
- Jingwei “Serena” Zhou of Camarillo High School, who will attend the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business;
- Ryan Gonzales of Channel Islands High School, who will major political science and English at the University of Notre Dame;
- Kimberly Trickery of Frontier High School, who will attend Ventura College for two years before transferring to Brigham Young University-Hawaii and major in either business or physical therapy;
- Katherine Worcester of Hueneme High, who will attend the College of William and Mary in Virginia and study art and Japanese;
- Perla Garcia of Oxnard High School, who will major in Spanish and business administration at UC Berkeley;
- Maria Rangel of Pacifica High School, who will major in biological sciences at UC Davis;
- Joshua Kent of Rio Mesa High School, who will major in kinesiology at California Lutheran University.
DCH Lexus of Oxnard is in the Oxnard Auto Center at 1640 Auto Center Drive. For more information, call 988-8500, or visit www.lexusofoxnard.com.