Rebecca Chandler M.Ed.
Director of Career Education
In 2007, the District launched its first “academy” model of instruction at two schools. The academy model is a 3 to 4-year program that includes each of the following elements:
- A sequence of career technical education (CTE) courses that center on a specific industry strand;
- An academic program characterized by rigorous, University of California compliant courses that utilize a Linked-Learning curriculum and Project-Based Learning (PBL) activities. These courses are thematically aligned with the specific career strand identified to the right;
- A number of Work-Based Learning (WBL) opportunities and experiences, including guest speakers, field trips, job shadowing and even internships with local businesses; and
- Support services including counseling, tutoring, college and career guidance and administrative support.
Academy students exit our programs prepared for college and career with a strong academic background, the basic knowledge of the opportunities and requirements of a particular career strand and the “soft skills” of the workplace such as time management, initiative, leadership, responsibility and ethics.
Due to the success of these programs and using both the California Partnership Academy (CPA) and the nationally recognized National Academy Foundation (NAF) model, OUHSD has encouraged the expansion and refinement of these academies which have now grown to 13, addressing the industries of engineering, manufacturing, marine science, transportation, law & public service, business, teaching, tourism and hospitality, and health. In 2014-15, utilizing a $6 million state grant, the District plans to introduce six new academies aligned with industries such as digital media and performing arts, information technology, agriculture and entrepreneurialism.
- Business and Finance
- Transportation Technology
- Marine Science
- Business & Finance
- Teaching (Youth and Education Services)
- Engineering and Design
- Green Technologies
- Law and Public Services
- Multimedia Business
- Culinary Arts
- Heath Science
- Teaching and Educational Careers
- DECA Business
- Environmental Engineering
- Information Technology
- Manufacturing, Engineering, Robotics & Industrial Technology (MERIT)
- Hospitality, Business and Design
- Medical Sciences
- Applied Engineering
- Arts & Entertainment